Planning for your Parent Orientation Session
The charge for parent orientation includes all orientation materials, parking, and one meal. You do not need to purchase an additional meal unless you have a guest that will be joining you for the meal only (and not any sessions.)
- 2-Day Orientation Session fee:
- $60 for the first family member and $40 for the 2nd and each guest after.
- Included meal: BBQ dinner on the evening of Day 1
- 1-Day Orientation Sessions fee:
- $45 for the first family member and $40 for the 2nd and each guest after.
- Included meal: Lunch
*We offer vegan, vegetarian, and gluten-free options in all of our dining facilities and at our BBQ dinner. If you have any dietary concerns, please let our staff know in advance so we can accommodate your request*
Lodging for Parents at Orientation:
All First-year STUDENTS attending orientation will stay on campus in a residence hall. We do not provide housing for parent and family mambers. Parents and families attending orientation may wish to reserve a room at one of our partner hotels:
Comfort Suites * Offering a 15% discount to Parents & Families*
1184 SR 105, Boone, NC 28607
Fairfield Inn & Suites * Offering a 15% discount to Parents & Families*
2060 Blowing Rock Rd, Boone, NC 28607
Courtyard by Marriott
1050 Hwy 105 Boone, NC 28607
Baymont Inn & Suites(formerly Hampton Inn and the Inn Place Boone)
1075 Highway 105 Boone, NC 28607
La Quinta Inn of Boone
165 Highway 105 Boone, NC 28607
Country Inn & Suites
818 E. King Street Boone, NC 28607
Quality Inn & Suites University
840 E. King Street Boone, NC 28607
163 Highway 105 Ext Boone, NC 28607
2419 Highway 105 South Boone, NC 28607
Students & Parents can park in the Rivers Street Parking Deck (Rivers Street is #31 on the map). Look for yellow and black Orientation signs on Rivers Street to guide you to the parking locations.
If you need accommodations due to a disability/temporary impairment during your scheduled orientation or would like to discuss how your condition may be impacted at orientation, please contact email@example.com with your request, challenges and dates of orientation as soon as possible.
What Parents Need to Bring:
- Warm/cool clothing for Boone Weather
- Comfortable walking shoes and comfortable clothes
- Sweater or sweatshirt (the union is often kept cool)
- Notepad or tablet for taking notes
- Snacks/water as needed
Help our Food Pantry & Free Store! The Office of Sustainability Food Pantry and Free Store The Food Pantry offers non-perishable staples as well as seasonal, local fruits and vegetables as available. The Free Store offers school supplies, home goods, clothing, and more. Bring your donation with you to Orientation.
What Students Need to Bring:
- Make sure immunization information has been completed in the MedPortal (A Health Services Representative will be available to answer questions during check-in on the morning of your first day of orientation.)
- Casual clothing and comfortable walking shoes for Orientation
- Backpack and water bottle for Orientation
- Copy of Advanced Placement scores, and /or International Baccalaureate scores, if available
- If you are transferring credits from another institution, an Appalachian transcript evaluation mailed to you by Appalachian's Office of Admissions; and unofficial copies of your transcript from your previous school.
Director, Parent & Family Services