Living On-Campus

Parent siteWe are looking forward to having your students on campus, and we want to assist in their adjustment in whatever way we can. The following tips are a result of the common concerns and questions the Housing staff deal with the first several weeks. We hope you find them helpful!



We give the responsibility to the student to know the rules, regulations, deadlines, etc. This information is given verbally and in writing. You can help in the following ways:


  • Encourage your student to read the Residence Hall License Contract available online This is one way we communicate our policies and procedures. You may find it helpful to read through it as well.
  • Encourage your student to attend the Orientation sessions during Welcome Week in August and to go to the first floor meeting with their Resident Assistant (RA). Attendance at these sessions prevents much confusion and questions later. The sessions also help your student get to know other new students.
  • Know what items are and are not allowed in the residence halls. University Housing provides a very comprehensive list of items most college students find they need while living in a residence hall. The list also includes items not allowed in a residence hall environment. (click “Frequently Asked Questions” in the menu on the left side of the page, then click “Housing Assignments,” and scroll down to “What items should I consider bringing when I come to college?”)

Communication With Residence Life Staff

Please feel free to contact Housing if you have any reason to be concerned about your student. The staff is always willing to assist if we know there is a problem. If your student has a medical problem (epilepsy, diabetes, etc.) encourage them to tell their hall supervisor. This information will be kept confidential but is very helpful should an emergency arise. The following outlines the types of staff members who live in our building:


  • Coordinator: Coordinators are full-time, Master’s level staff with extensive experience in the student development field who supervise Resident Assistants and Residence Directors while managing several departmental responsibilities.
  • Residence Director (RD): The Residence Director is a graduate student who supervises the Resident Assistants of their building. RDs assist individual residents with developing their personal, academic and social skills through educational and social programming.
  • Resident Assistant (RA): The Resident Assistant is an undergraduate student who can help your student find answers to their questions or problems. RAs have been trained in such skills as peer counseling, crisis intervention and conflict mediation.

Roommate Conflicts

Roommate conflicts are not unusual, especially during the first few weeks of school. We have found that most conflicts can be worked through with proper communication, time, patience, and, in many cases, with the help of a third party (such as an Resident Assistant or Residence Director). Many times, parents and families know about a conflict before the staff hears about it. The following tips are ways you can help:


  • Encourage your student to talk with the roommate. Many times when we hear about a conflict, we learn that neither roommate has even mentioned to each other that there is a concern.
  • If a simple discussion doesn’t work, have them get the RA or RD involved. Sometimes an objective third party can be helpful, and our staff is trained to handle conflicts. Also, the staff may not be aware of a conflict and will not know unless told.
  • Many conflicts are short-lived and are reflective of the time of year. For example, we see an increase in conflicts before breaks, during exam times, in the middle of winter, and, for first-year students, at the beginning of the year.
  • The residence hall staff can work with students anytime a room change is requested. The only restriction is waiting until the second week of each semester to begin room changes.
  • To request a room change students must complete the room change form online.

Housing For Returning Students

Returning students have the opportunity to re-apply for housing during January. Because the demand for residence hall spaces sometimes out-numbers the spaces available on campus, returning students are not guaranteed housing. In order to claim a space on-campus, it is imperative that returning students follow the housing reapplication schedule in order to apply for housing and pay their housing deposit by the set dates.


Housing for Transfer Students

Transfer students have the opportunity to apply for either the Transfer or Transfer Educator Residential Learning Communities (RLCs) through the housing application process. More information about these and other RLCs can be found at All other transfer students will be assigned to spaces based on availability after freshmen and returning students have been assigned.

Parent Portal Access

Parent & Family Association Newsletter

What's happening at Appalachian State? Sign up for our Parent & Family Association Newsletter today!